Monday, June 13, 2016

Sources of Information, Part 4: Martial Arts

Parts one, two and three concerning weightlifting, gymnastics and climbing, respectively.

Martial Arts

I can't say for sure what sparked my interest in martial arts. Honestly, fighting repulsed me for the most part. I know I'd often felt unprepared for the possibility that I may have to engage in some sort of hand-to-hand combat but it didn't really occur to me that I should learn the skills necessary to defend myself. However, in my efforts to develop a wider range of skills in fitness, it seemed as though martial arts kept popping up as a valuable fitness, health and movement practice. I started reading about different martial arts and watching MMA videos. Something about it started to speak to me and I started to think I could learn a few things. Fast forward about two and half years and this last weekend I competed in my first jiu jitsu competition (I won gold in the "gi" master's division). My resources for martial arts are here:

Mushin Academy - In reading about MMA, I learned that any fighter should have some sort of striking game and a ground, or grappling, game. I googled "best grappling art" or something like that and learned about catch wrestling. I was surprised to find a local school that worked on catch wrestling. I looked at their class schedule online, saw that they also had stand-up/striking classes and called them. A week later I was signed up. Honestly, I was scared. I'd never fought, done wrestling or anything like that. I'd spar or roll with these guys feel like nothing was connecting or getting better. But the instructors were amazing. They were patient and detail-oriented. They cared if you learned the techniques. The guys who trained there were helpful and looked for ways to improve your game. Everything at this gym is technique-heavy. Nobody's trying to kill you or smash you into the ground (at least, when you're new). There is a heavy emphasis on "light" sparring and ego-less rolling. The community was amazing. And slowly I started to understand certain aspects of fighting. I wasn't completely confused. I could start to connect moves and concepts. Not only are the instructors and other students fun to be with, they are good at martial arts. I've never been to another school but I feel like I hit the jackpot in finding this perfect combination of world-class instruction and a close-knit community.

CSW - Short for Combat Submission Wrestling, Erik Paulson developed a mixed system incorporating various martial arts, including Brazilian jiu-jitsu, sambo, judo and catch wrestling. Mushin Academy has used his system and I've attended his seminar, purchased his videos and even visited his gym in California. He's a great instructor with a ton of knowledge.

Thai Boxing - To the best of my understanding, Thai Boxing is a hybrid of muay thai and western boxing brought to the US by Ajarn Chai Sirisute. Again, Mushin Academy has used his system and I've also attended a seminar with master Chai. Another fantastic instructor with great knowledge and passion for the sport.

Martial arts is a never-ending learning process. No technique is unstoppable so you can constantly seek greater understanding. Taking a mixed approach allows you to draw from various styles and see which ones suit you. For me, I had to face some fear and have come out a better person because of it. I've developed friendships that will likely last the rest of my life. Having added martial arts to my arsenal of practices, I next add something I swore I'd never touch when I started this journey: endurance training (or conditioning/aerobic capacity, whatever you like to call it)...

No comments:

Post a Comment