Part one on weightlifting is here and part two on gymnastics is here.
Climbing
A few years back I worked for a type of juvenile treatment center for just under a year. Though I strongly disliked the system used to manage the kids, I did enjoy the off-campus activities. One of them was my introduction to rock climbing. Having never really done much work with grip strength previously, climbing was difficult and somewhat painful. My hands felt raw after a session and my forearms would get pumped quickly. But I loved it. I'd watch the fluidity of the better climbers and be fascinated. I'd see them make dynamic, powerful moves and be so impressed. Climbing seemed to me a highly artistic style of movement and I wanted to absorb it. Additionally, it provided a strong connection to gymnastics strength and complemented the pushing involved in handstands and the like. These are my resources for climbing:
The Front Climbing Club - I mainly climb indoors. It's just easier and more convenient. And I really lucked out to have a world-class facility close by in which to do my "plastic pulling." I almost exclusive boulder, which is a style of climbing that uses no ropes or harnesses and is generally not as high off the ground. The routes are shorter and often require more power, which I think suits me. And though I enjoy climbing with others, it doesn't require me to climb with anybody else. As I'm often at the gym at 6am, usually it's just me and the wall. The staff here is so helpful and new routes seem to go up every week or every other week so there are always new challenges. I just love this place.
The Rock Climber's Training Manual - If you haven't already gathered this about me, know that I enjoy having a program to follow. I like to know how to progress, I crave organization in my training and yearn for the grind associated with dedicated programming. This book offers that to me. After about two years of just climbing, I felt like I was stalling in my progress. I wanted to work with hangboards (for strength) and campus boards (for power) but didn't know how to use them. The book details how to progress through these and other different training blocks in order to guide you to improved climbing. It helps you find weak points and attack them directly. I can now finally see myself progressing again.
I've met so many interesting people in the world of climbing and constantly try to bring others to try it out. It is fun. And it gets more fun the more you go. If you want to come climb with me, by all means, let me know. Next, in what I thought might be a glimpse into my aggressive side, I discover the arena of martial arts...
No comments:
Post a Comment