Not that it was very long ago but part one is here.
Gymnastics
I cannot remember specifically how I became introduced to gymnastics. My fascination with handstands ran fairly deep but I never seriously entertained the idea that I could become very proficient in them. I amused myself with various videos and found a youtube channel by the Strength Project. The channel highlight elements of gymnastics, parkour, tricking and the like. I became enamored with the gymnastic skill of the planche. I sought out progressions for this skill and was overloaded with the available resources out there. In all my searching, I found these resources worked well for what I was after:
Gymnastic Bodies - This is my main resources for all my gymnastic strength training. While I was learning about their system they introduced an elaborate progression structure where they produced various courses I use: Foundation (consisting of seven foundational elements: front lever, straddle planche, side lever, manna, single leg squat, hollowback press and rope climb), Handstand (first freestanding, then press handstand followed by one-arm handstand) and Stretch (with front splits, middle splits and thoracic bridge). I spent an inordinate amount of time perusing their forum, much of which is freely accessed, and loved getting deeply into the discussions.
Gold Medal Bodies - Though I do not use their programs (which have expanded since I was looking them) this group of athletes are an energetic crew with less of an elitist attitude about themselves. Had I not already invested a substantial amount in the aforementioned Gymnastic Bodies curriculum, I would love to see what this group offers more specifically. They do have various free articles and tutorials. My first handstand tutorial was one I received for free from them and it's great!
Yuri Marmerstein - I heard about Yuri through the Gymnastic Bodies forum and knew he was a teacher of handstands. As I mentioned before, I've always loved handstands and I wanted to know what Yuri could teach. Though I already had two other handstand programs and tutorials, I purchased Yuri's ebook Balancing the Equation. Though the specific progressions are similar to other products I had, Yuri's ability to explain elements and help troubleshoot through sticking points was unparalleled and at a fraction of the cost. I felt like a few things he focused on were just what I needed to better understand balancing on my hands. He seems like a great guy and I hope to have him to Utah for a seminar if I could garner enough committed interest.
I am by no means a master of anything related to gymnastic strength. I am constantly mesmerized by the abilities of other athletes in this realm. But much of what these programs and instructors teach is within reach for any disciplined learner. Gymnastic strength is probably my highest priority in my training because of the freedom of movement it offers. As a complement to the wealth and abundance within gymnastics, I next explore the world of unfamiliar words like crimps, cruxes, gastons, jugs, lock-offs and slopers found in climbing...
No comments:
Post a Comment