Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Simple Strength Programming

Creating a program for strength training can be as complex as you like. For some people, complexity fuels their desire to complete each session. For others, complexity makes them feel lost and confused. You can find hundreds of thousands of programs that all claim to be the most excellent and brilliant training tool. I find, however, that a simple program done consistently will help many people. Here is one example that I like (I'm sure I read this somewhere else, if it's your program, let me know):

1. Squat
2. Upper Body Push
3. Deadlift
4. Upper Body Pull

I love this simple template because it hits most of the major muscle groups. It isn't as short as Pavel Tsatsouline's Power to the People program, but it's close.

(You can google all of these exercises)

Squat

Choose either a front squat or a back squat.

Upper Body Push

Choose either the bench press or the overhead press.

Deadlift

Choose either conventional or sumo deadlift.

Upper Body Pull

Choose either a barbell row or pullups

This is by no means an exhaustive list of the potential exercises in each category. With the exception of the pullup you just need a barbell, some place from which to squat and weights. That's it. If you go to a commercial gym they should have all of those items (excepting Planet Fitness, maybe. I don't get that place). For pullups there is probably a bar somewhere there. Or find a playground. If you don't, come over to my house and we can bang out a few sets.

When it comes to sets and reps, there are also many opinions about what constitutes bodybuilding vs pure strength vs endurance. I think there is benefit to mixing up the repetitions between 2 and 12. I like to divide it up easily like this:

Month 1: Sets of 10-12
Month 2: Sets of 6-8
Month 3: Sets of 4-5
Month 4: Sets of 2-3

Find a weight that challenges you on the last rep of the last set. Once you feel like you could get another rep on each set (maybe even do that rep) up the weight by 5-10 pounds. Get it a total of 15-30 reps (3 sets of 5 reps, 2 sets of 10 reps, 8 sets of 2 reps, etc.).

I believe that even a poor program done consistently will yield fantastic results. As you become consistent in your training, feel free to experiment. Look at your goals and assess your program based on your needs. Remember, this is only one type of program. If lifting weights at a commercial gym doesn't excite you in any way, do something different. Use the internet or other resources to plan. Also, feel free to ask me anything about what I think about a program or training style.

My next simple programming advice with deal with conditioning (or endurance or aerobic capacity or whatever you want to call it).

No comments:

Post a Comment