If you missed my post on strength training, it's right here.
Conditioning, endurance training, aerobic capacity, whatever you want to call it. To me, these things are all about training the energy system that can withstand outputs longer than 30-90 seconds. I feel like my grasp on the science related to this is constantly challenged. To be honest, I never had any interest in aerobic training until I started practicing martial arts (blog entry forthcoming). Some people prefer high-intensity all the time, some like to periodize their conditioning and still others only ever explore low-intensity steady state. In order to (hopefully) simplify the idea, I'm going to offer a basic template for programming aerobic training.
Day A - Long distance, low-intensity steady state work.
Day B - High intensity, interval style work or circuit training.
I know there are varying intensities and further complexities but I want this to be easy.
For long distance, low-intensity steady state work simply choose a modality that you like and do it non-stop for 20-90 minutes, depending on your goals, capacity and desire. Some options are: running, cycling, swimming, skipping rope, rowing, hiking, shadow boxing or any other activity you can maintain for the desired time at a relatively constant rate. Get a heart rate monitor if that helps you know if your intensity is too high or too low. Don't overthink this and just get out there.
For high-intensity intervals (HIIT) or circuit training, you are concerned with work to rest ratios. I've seen 1:1, 2:1 and even 3:1 work to rest ratios. An easy (as in, not complex) HIIT workout is this: Jog/Walk for 30 seconds, Sprint for 30 seconds, Repeat 6-10 times. It's mentally challenging as well as physically. It's important that you are sprinting hard during the sprints. You could perform the same basic workout on a track with measurable distances: Jog/Walk the curves (100 meters), Sprint the Straightaways (100 meters), Repeat 4 times around the track.
For HIIT or circuit training you can do all the same exercise (all sprints, for example) or vary them (first burpees, then sprints, followed by pushups and then squats for 4 rounds). This is another one not to overthink. There is no perfect workout. Sprinting is easy, requires only space and is effective. Hill sprints are fun (in a brutal sort of way) and you'll never become too fit to do them. But feel free to pick and choose from any number of exercises you like. The larger the number and size of muscles used in the circuit or interval, the harder it will be. In a good way. Learn to love that feeling and you'll have the consistency to make HIIT work for you.
I hope I made that simple enough. It requires work, consistently applied, but the results are fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment